Sunday 19 August 2012

Well, week 9 was a disaster. So much so that week 10 is in serious doubt.
I picked up a right calf stain finishing off week 8 last Sunday, but ran through it. First session of week 9 I didn't do to let my strain recover and then the second session, which was intervals (my favourite!) I failed to complete it. That's the first time that I've failed to complete a session that I've started, managing only 5 of 8 interval sets. I was totally demoralised and started to seriously doubt my ability to do this at all. But later that day I was just emailing JT and he walked into the office!! Even more spooky as he's not even based on my site. Anyway , he gave me a pep talk so I decided to the the third session of week 9 the next day and I managed it fine. It was tough - a tempo run - but I did it and felt I was back on track. Until today.
Disaster has struck once more. 70 mins was on the cards, which is longer than I've ever done. So I made sure I had a decent  meal the night before (having restricted my self to one glass of Pimms at the Cricket - front row seats in the Allen stand; fabbo!), up early before the heat built, took water with me, what could possibly go wrong?
Set off at a gentle bimble, gradually working up to ramming speed , all tickety boo, sun shining, birdies tweeting, dogs lolloping, ducks bobbing...45 minutes in, a few miles under my belt I get a little twinge in my left calf totally out of nowhere. I thought OK, will give it a few minutes and see I can run it through like last Sunday when suddenly pop! Something went and I came to a grinding halt. Bloody well ouch! Of course sods law I was deep into the park at the time and it took me nearly an hour to hobble home. Crap! And I got 'attacked' by a bouncy, long-eared chocolate spaniel called Lola and then a great Dane which tried to wrestle my water bottle from me.
Have done ice and anti inflams, but I can't actually walk now, which is a bit of a bugger as I have heaps to do today, most of which involves walking. Did I already say Crap!
Come on you runners out there following this blog - what am I doing wrong?

I wonder if any one has ever done a half marathon on their hands and knees?
Could be a first; I will not let this beat me. If you are looking down , Bridget, from the Welsh department of heaven, I could use a bit of help down here......

No comments:

Post a Comment